Thursday, March 20, 2014

W10: A2, Next Test, Next Test, NEXT TEST?!

How I feel about computer science right now:

1) ECSTATIC!
I finished A2! After a week of assignments (which did not go very well) and tests (which also did not go very well) I was absolutely dreading working on A2 and forgoing much-needed rest. To be sure, it was tough and at times mind-boggling, but because A1 was a killer, I had been anticipating much worse. At first, I was intimidated by the heavy recursion that was required, but once I just got down and tackled the assignment (with some handy, old-school paper and pencil) it was a much smoother experience.
The most important thing I've realized from A2: usually the code follows very closely to the actual instructions. I spent an inordinate amount of time considering the rules of a valid regexes and how to convert the rules into code when the answers were under my nose the whole time. Having my code follow the instructions, step-by-step, made everything much more understandable.
2) That feeling of success... VICTORY! RELIEF!
Well, we finally got our results for A1 back and I'm so unbelievably relieved to have done well that I can't really put it into words. A1 was undoubtedly one of the most stressful and yet memorable challenges I've had in university so far (I was still debugging my code one minute before the deadline... I was about to have a heart attack then). And, like I mentioned above, it's nice to get something right on an evaluation for once.
3) Today is the first day of spring...!?
Well, first of all, this is Canada, so the change in seasons doesn't really apply. Nonetheless, it is rather astonishing that we're already in the last three weeks of the university year, not considering the exam period. Assignments and tests and exercises have been going by so fast and in such rapid succession that I haven't had time to contemplate the time. Especially with computer science, once I get drawn into a problem or challenge I can sit in front of the computer for ages. I haven't been outside at all today, and I only recognized it was "spring" when I saw the Google Doodle.
4) Back pains.
What I LOVE about computer science that I haven't gotten from any other subject is that I can get very immersed in solving CS problems, when for many other things my attention span is about five minutes. It is very interesting converting "physical" entities into objects that can be handled on the computer – for example, Trees, which can be drawn out (physically) and manipulated in Python.
What I HATE about computer science: the back pains. I'm happy I've accomplished my work for today but my back is screaming in protest. Exercise may be a good idea.
5) Next...
Next week I have a major presentation on the same day as the second term test for CSC148, and unfortunately I have not begun to work on the presentation, nor do I understand anything about sorting. Oh, and I also didn't do very well on the last test, so I really need to do well on this one.
WELL.
That's the university life, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment